Tis the Season to Audition

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on December 31, 2002 at 04:07:22:

Pardon me if I impart a little advice to the youngsters that are about to embark on the dreaded college audition scene. Most of todays high school seniors are head and shoulders above what was the norm 25 years ago when I embarked on the same mission. Now, through the miracle of the internet, let me say what was never said to me. IF YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST BE A MUSICIAN, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND GET AN EDUCATION DEGREE. I know, most of my young colleagues are sitting at their respective terminals right now saying "That's a load of crap, I am going to be the next best thing since sliced bread". Perhaps you are, but some day the loans will come due, baby will need new shoes, or you will be hungry. There is no shame in education. If you become a teacher you will be involved in music 24/7, have a place to practice to all hours, have your summers free to study or pursue higher education, and chances are, you will have a full belly. With a performance degree you may have to work in a situation that is totally foreign to you, that doesn't care that you went to the University of X on a full scholarship and played the Bladeebla Concerto as a freshman, in essence, they won't care past your ability to be at work on time and make sure either the fries are done or the shoes are the right size. Chose your future, 1. Where you are making a positive contribution in your chosen field or 2. Being bossed around by someone with a High School Diploma. I used to hold to the old saw that only 1 out 0f 1000 high school football players make the NFL and tubas are the same, but that is a load of hogwash. There is probably a better chance of you making the NFL then making an orchestra that pays a living wage. Let's face it, the job market is saturated. Give yourself a break, get an Education degree and still make your mark in music. Or if not, get a degree in something that earns you some scheckels and allows you the time to hone your craft. Before anyone even questions my motives, let me give you a little background. I earned my education degree at the age of 38 after playing professionally for 21 years. Why? I realized I wasn't the best player on a level field and wanted some peace of mind, i.e.; I wanted to eat and have some nice things. I still play, better than ever actually BECAUSE I am a teacher, not despite it. I am not going to apologize for the ramble because it is the truth........take from it what you will. If you must be a musician, prepare yourself, please.

Follow Ups: