Re: Tis the Season to Audition

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric Fritz on December 31, 2002 at 05:00:47:

In Reply to: Tis the Season to Audition posted by Chuck Jackson on December 31, 2002 at 04:07:22:

I think Mr Jackson has touched upon one of the most important topics that I have seen on this board and I would like to respond.

I totally disagree that one should get an education and especially music education degree as an insurance policy or to have something to fall back on. There are too many horrible teachers out there that fell back upon education and will have a very negative affect upon hundreds or thousand of young minds. I have had several. Fortunatley there are many wonderful teachers that choose education for the right reasons. It's a good thing I had several. Being a public school educator is one of the most difficult and important positions in our society so only do it if you absolutely love it.

I fully agree that the chances for a young tubist to actually make a good livivng playing are VERY grim and it will probably only get worse. With this in mind, an individual needs everything he/she has to dedicated for many years into the perfection of the art of tuba playing. It's a great idea to have a joker card in your pocket because you will need to pay the bills but let it be computors or as a music copyist tec... but not as a educator.

I am a VERY lucky person. I have a fulltime orchestra position that has given and continues to give me a wonderful life. I have a BM and MM from 2 of the best music schools in the US which cost ALOT of money that 10 years after graduation I am still paying for. I also made the decision to live outside of the US (Mexico) in order to have what I have and it was very difficult at first.

All I can really say to a young player is to follow your heart, always listen, don't get married or your girlfriend pregnant until you are settled, study with the best you can, learn launguages, be open minded and willing to go just about anywhere for a job, always be honest with yourself and give it %200. It will be a tough road though if it works out it's a great life. A college degree in tuba is much better than going through life without a degree in anything but please don't fall back on education. Also remember that the most talented guy doesn't always get the gig. It's about hard work and making good responsible and mature decisions that will have a positive affect upon your future.

Nobody can tell you what is the "right" decision so only you will know. Good luck to all and always follow your dream.

Follow Ups: