Re: Tis the Season to Audition

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on December 31, 2002 at 11:45:11:

In Reply to: Tis the Season to Audition posted by Chuck Jackson on December 31, 2002 at 04:07:22:

Chuck,
I think there are a lot of musicians (like me) who would NOT make good band directors. I HAVE a teacher's certificate and wouldn't dream of using it. I've tried band directing, and I've tried teaching the "tubers" at two large universities...Though I think I did a good job, it's not for me. I take stuff like MY TIME (since I have a limited amount of it) very personally. In the business of "mass" teaching, there are many students who will waste a teacher's time, even when the teacher takes the maximum steps to minimize this.

The profession of teaching requires more generosity than I (and many others) have - except for the students who are devoted to progress towards excellence. Let's not present the VERY SERIOUS profession of teaching as a "back-up". Too many more will end up as resentful educators.

Instead, along with the possibility of teaching, let's suggest developing jazz/pop/second instrument music skills to a high level of artistry, or a DOUBLE MAJOR (science, math, technology.. ANYTHING that the pursuer can grab with passion).

Double majors are viable, usually only take an extra year (about like most who do the "education" thing) and can help keep young boys and girls (ages 17 - 21) away from nightly alcohol parties - which have long been the plague of the pursuit of higher education.

Follow Ups: