Re: Re: Tis the Season to Audition

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Inman on December 31, 2002 at 09:33:55:

In Reply to: Re: Tis the Season to Audition posted by Eric Fritz on December 31, 2002 at 05:00:47:

Let's presume for a moment, that you DO like music, and that you WOULD enjoy education as a back-up plan. (I assume that is Chuck's personal situation.)

IN THIS CASE, Chuck's advice is spot on.

HOWEVER, if you can't stand the thought of being a band director, then either be realistic, accept the grim odds, and go for it (performance) OR pick a back-up plan in an area that you would enjoy.

But, DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE the 1000 to 1 odds Chuck has mentioned and Eric has confirmed. (this is the main point of Chuck's post that seems to have been missed in the follow-ups)

Also, DO consider international playing opportunities. THIS is a topic I don't see discussed much. But if the US market is saturated, you'll have to take a job outside the country unless you are exceptional. (simple fact) So, do some research to find out where the jobs tend to be, and study a couple of languages during your university activities.

Steve "I can say 'Good Morning' in about 10 languages" Inman
Engineering Group Manager in a global automotive electronics company
Amateur tubist in Kokomo, IN

Good Morning, Guten Morgen, Bon Jour, Buenos Dias, Gute Moien, Dzien Dobre (sp?), Nee Hau, Ahn yong hasseyo, Ohayo gozaimasu, G'day mate! (okay, 9.5 -- I've forgotten Russian) disclaimer: some spellings purely phonetic . . . .

And -- you'd be surprised how far "Good Morning" "Please" and "Thank you" will go in another country . . . .

Follow Ups: