Re: Tis the Season to Audition

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by BR on January 01, 2003 at 01:11:38:

In Reply to: Tis the Season to Audition posted by Chuck Jackson on December 31, 2002 at 04:07:22:

The only reason that I went to college was to hang out until I got the call to replace Bon-Jovi's bass player (it was the 80's 0.K.). I majored in tuba because that is what I played in my high school band. The call never came and eventually all the bands broke up the deals fell through, and I wound up with a music degree. I never even considered the possibility that I might have to teach. I always had a true passion for music, even if the tuba wasn't always involved, and I knew that I wanted to make my living as a musician. After I got that first job I realized that I enjoyed working with the kids more than I ever imagined. I don't consider myself a failure because I teach (I got the tuba fever again a few years ago and went back for my masters in performance). In fact, I consider myself more of a success because of it. I do a lot of playing and writing, teaching music helps me to learn more about it, and I make more money than all but the highest paid orchestral pros. Plus while a standing ovation is great when you are sitting in the back of the orchestra, try it from the 50 yard line or the conductor's podium, it's even better. In short, I wouldn't trade my life for ANY orchestral gig. Playing my horn all day would be cool, but I'd miss the rest of everything.

BR

p.s. I encourage every student with an inerest in music to go after a degree. There are too many job opportunities in the field to have to go through life as a plumber.

Follow Ups: