Re: Tis the Season to Audition

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jobey Wilson on January 06, 2003 at 04:23:45:

In Reply to: Tis the Season to Audition posted by Chuck Jackson on December 31, 2002 at 04:07:22:

There have really been some great posts on this, but my view differs incredibly...and I depend on teaching (privately) for a good 30% of my freelance income. I was a Music-Ed major in college UNTIL I got my first teaching gig (with an INCREDIBLE high school program when I was only a sophomore at Univ of OK). Almost immediately after getting the job, I dumped the Ed degree and went to performance (though I had a great 3 year tenure with that band afterwards). It was a great job at the time, but I cannot even consider living my life as a band director...takes an extremely special, patient breed. I had incredible band directors growing up, and at one point I even thought that was my "calling," but it's NOT MY GIG...and I'm sure atleast a few others may feel the same way. I LOVE teaching privately, but it's a whole different ball game. If you want a "fall back" degree, DO IT IN SOMETHING ELSE!!! Fall back on something much more concrete...

Joseph "Jobey" Wilson, Tubist
Triton Brass Quintet (www.tritonbrass.org)
7 Timon Ave #3
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
617-306-6537 (cell)

Follow Ups: