Re: Tis the Season to Audition

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson-Redux on December 31, 2002 at 15:28:55:

In Reply to: Tis the Season to Audition posted by Chuck Jackson on December 31, 2002 at 04:07:22:

Ok. I guess I should clear up one or two vagaries in my post. I came to teaching after a VERY successful playing career. I found that the age of 38 that I was not enjoying playing as much as I did when I was 21. BUT, I still loved talking music and imparting what little wisdom I had. I had taught in a one-on-one situation in the military and found it to be the most invigorating time of my life. My dreams of playing overshadowed what I now know to be my major contribution in life: Imparting the love of music to others through teaching. It really is a no-brainer. For as good a player as I was, and like to think I still marginally am, I am a much better teacher. The joy of watching young people get the spirit of music and grasp totally divergent thinking is the most incredible rush I can imagine. I am hard pressed to remember more than few times playing that I had this rush. In teaching it sometimes happens on an hourly basis.
Please forgive me if I gave the impression that teaching is a fall back. No one who abhors the thought of walking into a school and dealing with the personalities of teenagers should ever teach. I wish I had been more succinct in my initial post in saying that no one should shirk the possibility of teaching as a career. To give back the love of music to a child who is struggling to find that self-same love is the best we can do as musicians. Now, we can do in a private studio or on the podium, but we must all strive to continue throughout the countless generations that will follow us to keep the spark and love of music alive.
I cannot tell you how much I admire Joe Sellmanbergers admission. I am sure Joe has touched alot of lives in other ways. Dave Zerkel continues to be one of my personal heros because he CHOSE to give back to young people. Dave still is my ideal of a consummate player. Yes, Dave I still replay the Telemann from the AFTEC in 1986 in my brain. That you did it on an Alex is amazing, that you played with such authority is astounding. Rick Denney conveys knowledge with his every post. I don't think there has been anybody who truly loves to impart wisdom more than Rick. Jay Bertolet brings rational, fundamentaly sound answers to questions that can be obtuse. He, too, is a teacher.
Whether in a bandroom, on a BBS, in a studio, or in yourown conversations, you are all GREAT teachers. That you chose not to teach in a formal setting could be construed as a shame, but you are imparting wisdom. My point was, do not overlook the power of education and the beauty of teaching, yes, it is a paycheck, but more than that, it is a chance to share our love, not of the tuba, but MUSIC!! Have Peace.

Follow Ups: