simple answers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by flame tinder on November 04, 2003 at 00:46:22:

The last time I created a big "stir" on this bbs, it was over basic technique, so here goes again:

There may be a few who are scratching their heads after the last two big auditions - both of which seem to have drawn to a close. Some may have thought that they played quite well, but failed to advance. If you are one who is looking for answers, I might be able to supply some of them.

First, (after turning off your computer screen) take all of those excerpts on your music stand and put them away in a drawer. Prop your metronome and your tuner on your music stand. Set the metronome on 60 beats per minute. You will now play "simple" 16-beat-long notes. Each note will start at ppp, crescendo in an even and controlled manner to fff by the end of beat #8, and diminuendo back to ppp by the end of beat #16.

You will start this exercise on the pitch "G" at the bottom of the bass clef staff, playing your contrabass tuba. Your second pitch will be F# below that G, your third pitch will be G# above that G. Your fourth and fifth pitches will be F natural below the G and A natural above that G. You will continue expanding the intervals above and below until you reach the G in the staff and the G three ledger lines below the staff (two octaves apart).

All the while, you'll play with a beautiful, even sound and you'll keep the needle on your tuner within 3 hundredths of a semitone (total 6 cents maximum allowable spread...quite "liberal", right?) either side of center, with the tuner set on A=442.

I suspect that this feat is something that Mr. Baer could, at this time in his life, come close to accomplishing. Apparently no one else interested in these jobs could come close enough to executing this "simple" exercise... (a demonstration of something required to play the tuba beautifully: "breath control")
...Now if you think California is up in flames, just have a look below this post by 5:00 P.M. 11/04/03.

Follow Ups: