Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: simple answers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by I was.......... on November 06, 2003 at 16:47:24:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: simple answers posted by js on November 05, 2003 at 14:32:39:

in the semis and I thought once I eased my nerves I played ok. However, to humor you (and mostly myself) I tried this exercise the very next afternoon. I found that I was able to control the pitch as you suggested. however, I was unable to do this in one breath and still reach FFF and back to PPP. I doubt very many if any can at the indicated tempo. I honestly don't believe this was totally my problem at the audition seeing as beeing able to do this will not help me with the technical issues in fountains of rome or the berlioz exerpts asked. However, I believe that most bad issues that arise in MY playing happen when i do not execute a good breath and a great exhale. I will also agree this is a popular problem among many tuba players ranging in all ages. ASIDE FROM THIS.........I believe it is very inappropriate to assume that this was the cause of 17 tuba players at the new york audition on that day. You're speaking of 17 of the best players out there including guys from Seattle, Alabama(maybe soon to be National) and Sydney symphonies (doens't mean everyone not there is a worse player). This isn't an all-state high school tuba audition you're talking about where players involved had bad sounds attributed directly to breath control. I think there is an egotistical tone in your first post. As someone else also stated, this post would hold more water if you yourself have mastered what your suggesting we do and shared this from an experienced point of view (i.e. knowing what it takes because you won an audition yourself). I compare this to the little league coach who at the end of practice blows the whistle and says "take a mile cause you need to be in shape" and then sits his fat overweight butt on the bleachers while he talks to the parents. Also....on a side note directly from a friend of mine who is a student of Al's ..."Al is all about just taking things back %25 and sounding great." Too many players try to force things and sound huge at these auditions. They can do all these techinical things (i.e. play your exercise) but can't just tone down the volume and sound musical. we should spend more time listening to music and trying to match that in our playing. That's what Arnold Jacobs emphasised in Song and Wind. he placed more weight on the SONG part. I believe that's what a committee is listening for...someone they can sing along with. Al Baer is that guy.

Follow Ups: