Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Houston Symphony Cutting Jobs, Salaries

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on January 24, 2003 at 16:38:21:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Houston Symphony Cutting Jobs, Salaries posted by wow wow on January 24, 2003 at 16:17:18:

All this handwringing about other human beings is a shallow farce. Remember this line of the story:

In September the society ... reduced non-musician staff by 15 percent, or nine positions.

Where are your tears for these human beings? They will probably have a harder time than the musicians putting bread on the table, as the musicians CAN freelance, teach, etc. This horror about a 4% cutback in musicians is really about PR, to keep the symphony from daring to cut back more. And do you REALLY think an orchestra that size is going to be devastated by the loss of the WORST violin, viola, cello and bass in the orchestra (that apportionment is just my guess, BTW)? I doubt if anyone, including the conductor, could tell the difference.

Yes, it's always sad on a personal level whenever ANYONE loses a job. I can relate, as I lost mine (of 11 years) last March, and had to move 850 miles away and take a 10% pay cut myself, after 6 months out of work. It's just that things are tough all over, and the rest of us don't see it as a GREATER pity for musicians to be out of work than for engineers, accountants, or street sweepers to be so. It IS of course more pertinent to this group, however, so discussing it seems kosher -- but don't expect the non-symphony-players (and aspirants) to be apoplectic about it. And ESPECIALLY don't expect any other kind of professional to get torn up about loss of job security.

Joe Baker, whose job security consists of doing the best job he can and hoping for the best.

Follow Ups: