Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Houston Symphony Cutting Jobs, Salaries

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 25, 2003 at 22:54:43:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Houston Symphony Cutting Jobs, Salaries posted by d on January 25, 2003 at 20:54:58:

Okay David, let's address your points individually:

"A symphony orchestra is a business and should be run as one, period."

Wrong!!! I disagree with you completely. If this were truly a business, then the IRS wouldn't have to create a category for such organizations to be included, that being "Not-For-Profit". While it may be trendy for folks in this industry to talk about how being run more like a business is a good thing, reality does not bear this out. Even the most hard core institutions that absolutely depend on earned income (ticket sales, contracted services, etc.) may make 50%, maybe even as high as 60% of their total annual budget via earned income. Where does the other 40%+ come from? Charitable donations. Why? Because a symphony orchestra does more than just entertain folks in a geographic region. There is a huge impact on the community as a whole, things like education, community outreach, making it easier to draw quality employees to area businesses (folks who wouldn't normally relocate because they expect a certain level of culture where they live), and others. Ultimately, the value of a symphony orchestra to a community is much more than the total ticket revenues. I'm not saying that symphony orchestras shouldn't be fiscally responsible but they can never be a business as such.

"How much input does the orchestra put forth to make the situation get better?"

Depending on the board's desire for real improvement, it can be none or a great deal. In our orchestra, the board opened itself up to our (musician) involvement in the governance of the institution and the institution is markedly better for it. But this is only a recent development for us. We used to receive nothing but lip service for our ideas on how to improve the institution. The amount the musicians can affect the situation is directly related to how much actual power the musicians are invested with. The board and management have to reliquish that power for musicians to take it. Until both sides decide to respect and trust each other, nothing changes.

"Do they put on un-paid benefit concerts to raise funds? Do they do community outreach concerts at little or no cost to raise awareness? Or do they expect to be paid for all services?"

Again, I can't speak for all orchestras but I can tell you that we have services built into our agreement that specifically fit the types of things you're mentioning. They are called donated services and the management has access to a certain number of them every single season. Musicians are a surprisingly accommodating bunch and we here in the FPO know the value of serving our community. That's why we make ourselves available to the patrons for chit chat, donated services, gala fundraisers, even providing small ensembles privately for their in-home functions. Don't bite the hand that feeds!

David, I think you are missing the point. Orchestras are not businesses. They will never turn a profit. That's why musicians never negotiate wages based on revenue sharing. That's because there never are any revenues. For orchestras to survive, they must continue to serve those that are paying the bills. That means making great music (art), having a positive effect on the community at large, and keeping those folks paying the bills satisfied that their money is going to a worthwhile cause, not only for themselves but for the community in which they live. If you look at successful orchestras, the best ones will have a great board, a management that knows how best to use the orchestra, and a group of dedicated musicians who care about their community and affect it in a positive way. Getting all three together is difficult but it can be done.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: