Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Houston Symphony Cutting Jobs, Salaries

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on January 24, 2003 at 18:26:50:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Houston Symphony Cutting Jobs, Salaries posted by Joe Baker on January 24, 2003 at 18:05:20:

"It is unrealistic and arrogant of orchestra musicians to assume that they should be immune to the same cutbacks and hard times the rest of us are experiencing, and outrageous that there would be such an outcry against the non-artistes, when the cost is largely borne by their largesse"

I feel this to be the weakest paragraph in your argument, Joe. You seem to be saying that because times are hard for everyone, the damand for orchestral music would natually go down as well, and that therefore, musicians should expect to bear part of the brunt as well. How then, would you explain the success of Hollywood during the great depression of the 30's? Doesn't going to the symphony fall under the same general category of entertainment? I think it does. People are always going to want music, and symphony orchestras will always survive in some small way. If the Houston Symphony is currently too big for its britches, then there may be other factors other than just the cost of labor involved here. Therefore, I think we should all get the facts straight BEFORE simply we simply state that those haven't already fallen upon hard times, are somehow behaving "arrogantly" and "unrealistically".

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: