In Defense of HS Teachers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on September 03, 2002 at 17:57:08:

Ok, I figure this post has got a shelf life of exactly a day, because it does not address a single tuba related issue, but I felt I needed to defend the most harrassed segment of the United States Public: High School Teachers.

In a post below, a young man was hammered about his spelling/typing skills. Instead of leaving it alone, an anonymous poster slammed the NEA. I am a member of the NEA, not because I generally support the orginization, but because we need a solid front and I have $2,000,000 in tort insurance. Let me put my two cents in on what we, as High School teachers, have to contend with on an HOURLY basis.

1. If Johnny can't spell, it's teachers fault. That's a bunch of crap. If Johnny can't spell and you grade Johnny on his spelling, and, God forbid, Johnny should fail because of his spelling, then a parent will come screaming to the school administration that we are hurting Johnnies self-esteem. Teachers are so harried by days end, so worried about lawsuits, either pending or in progress, that they will let slide the most basic of concepts so they don't lose their minds. Is it the teachers fault? If parents would agree that good teaching of basics by a warm and caring teacher is a paramount objective of life, and they allowed teachers to teach and accept the outcome, we would go along way in settling alot of these issues.

2. Parents who think they are experts. Every parent that complains about their child's self-esteem also seems to think they can do the teachers job better. No matter how awful their child is to work with, no matter how much baggage these kids bring to school, the parents of these kids NEVER find anything positive to say. I have on many occasions offered these parents the chance to teach, instructed them where to find a good classroom transition program, only to be told IT'S NOT THEIR JOB. This is a minority of parents. Most of you are doing a great job.

3. Teachers don't come to school on a daily basis wanting their students to SUCK. We do take great pride in what we do. BUT, we are so burdened by the whining of the few, and it's effect on administrations, that we get gun shy to tell a kid that they are not the most beautiful, smartest, best, etc. at whatever they do. Granted, I work with teachers so fucking stupid they couldn't spell cat if you spotted them two letters, but most of your childrens teachers are fundamentally good educators and care about their jobs.

4. High School does not reflect real life. If a student of mine walks into my class late, he is docked points. The student whines. If the student walks into a job late, he gets fired. Nobody in the real world has time to worry about every single facet of someones life. There are rules, rules should be followed, breaking of rules have consequences. Why can't parents, AGAIN NOT ALL PARENTS, have their kids abide by the rules. I believe if High School mirrored life, it would be a better experience. Hold someone accountable for their actions and that's it.

If you want to see things change, TALK TO YOUR CHILDRENS TEACHERS. We like talking to concerned parents. Don't wait for the balloon to go up, be pro-active. The vast majority of teachers want your child to succeed. Before placing blame, take a hard look at your child and the school environment. I GARUANTEE YOU, your eyes will be opened. And cut us some slack, we are human.

I know this is long, but I feel that a fundamental change is needed in how students, teachers, and PARENTS interact. Don't wait until open-house, call or set up a visit. WE WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOU.

Chuck Jackson

Follow Ups: