valve extensions or other remedies

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by *lucky* on August 16, 2001 at 19:23:31:

hi everyone!
i just recently (about a week ago) got my new f tuba, and i have been playing it pretty heavily the past couple of days. (it's a PT10P if this makes a difference.) i have noticed that the fourth valve is nearly impossible for me to reach without using a finger other than my pinky or bending my hand in some weird direction. after playing the f for an hour or so, i went back to my e-flat (which i have been playing without such problems for about 3 years) and suddenly couldn't reach 4th on there anymore without an extreme amount of pain. i'm double jointed, so this doubles the problem.
my hands are extremely small (yes, i am female), and my teacher has mentioned valve extensions in the past. i was always trying to be "tough" i guess you could say and say that i would never use those! but now, tonight, since i have little to no feeling in, or control over, my pinky and ring finger, (and pain extending up my lower arm), i am thinking i might have to look into it.
does anyone know more about valve extensions, or any other possible remedies? thanks for any info!!!

Follow Ups: