Re: Re: Re: valve extensions or other remedies

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by *lucky* on August 17, 2001 at 17:26:21:

In Reply to: Re: Re: valve extensions or other remedies posted by Klaus on August 17, 2001 at 15:15:41:

i had wondered about the same solution, but also was skeptical due to the same reasoning you gave, Klaus.
I have tendonitis in my left hand pretty severely (hereditary), but have been lucky with my right hand so far. i am beginning to wonder though, if it truly is the new valves, or just a misfortunate side effect i will have to live with. perhaps it is also because i have never consistantly practiced 4 -5 hours a day for more than one day... (hmm.) but i don't want to stop now that i have gotten in the habit. what is most concerning to me now is that the pain extends up my lower arm, which points more to neural damage (hopefully temporary). hopefully it's a stress sprain or something.
all in all, there doesn't seem to be any one perfect solution... either tear up myself or tear up my valves! i don't particularly want to damage any of my horns, particularly not my new one. i guess at this point i should just come to a decision as to which remedy i should try. a percussionist friend gave me one of those finger exercisers to strengthen, but right now my fingers will not move independently in certain positions. i practiced today, and found that playing the low range on my compensating Besson using the fourth valve just wasn't going to happen. if this is something i have to live with, so be it since tuba is my life, but i guess valves are replaceable and nerves are not.
so, of all the ways mentioned here, would the oversized valve caps be the least damaging way to go?
any other thoughts are extremely welcome, and thanks to all of you for so many good ideas!

Follow Ups: