Re: Re: Re: valve extensions or other remedies

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Swensen on August 19, 2001 at 10:16:45:

In Reply to: Re: Re: valve extensions or other remedies posted by Tom B. on August 18, 2001 at 21:08:07:

Posted below should be a very primitive picture of the extension I made yesterday (the extension is directly on the glass of my scanner, so it looks rougher than it actually is). The execution also reflects my philosophy of experimenting with something quick and dirty before spending the time to make something pretty.

The width is the same as my B&S valve buttons (.975"), and the thickness is about 1/8".
I drilled six #24 holes (.152", to clear the M4x0.7 screw) because I have no idea how short the user's fingers are and I wanted to give her some options to try; a more time-consuming option would have been a milled or filed slot, but it might not have been stiff enough. I tried to round all the edges, and one edge is rounded a bit more than the others because the piece of brass had a bevel on one side.

A pretty version of the extension would only have one hole, and would taper from the finger end to the screw-hole end, which would be just wide enough to support the button felt. A mother-of-pearl inlay at the finger end would be nice, but is beyond my current capabilities.

Follow Ups: