Ok, I've got an F, what do I do now??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JW on May 22, 2003 at 09:54:34:

I read a lot of threads (posts) concerning which horn to get. Well, I've got an F, and I've had a CC. I know the CC ALMOST as well as the back of my hand. I've been playing it for a year now. Now, what do I do to learn the F? In my head, I see the fingerings as a toss up between BBb and CC fingerings: BBb horn has a D which is 1,2, same as an F, while CC has an A 1,2, which is the same as an F (disregarding the alternate fingerings required for correct intonation). I've fiddled on a few etudes, scales and concertos. But I don't want to fiddle, I want to learn it, but without forgetting my precious CC.

Here's my proposed routine in order to learn how to play my F which I want criticized thoroughly, please!!!

Practice an hour on my CC.

On my F:
Play scales, tune the pitches and learn both the scales and alternate fingerings used.
Play and learn an etude or 2.

This is probably scheduled through a 2-4 hour practice time (including the mentioned hour above).

Now, with that being said, what is the deal with the low register?? Why does the C (2nd partial) sound as funny/bad as it does? I've always wondered this. No matter, how do I correct it??

In advance, I appreciate the time taken to read my thread. Feel free to either post under me or e-mail me privately.

Josh

Follow Ups: