Re: Ok, I've got an F, what do I do now??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on May 22, 2003 at 10:48:39:

In Reply to: Ok, I've got an F, what do I do now?? posted by JW on May 22, 2003 at 09:54:34:

For the low C, read my "woo hoo" post a little ways down.

For learning new fingerings in a hurry, I have a system I use:
For the very beginning (this is for fingerings, remember, not technique)..write out Good King Wenceslas in all keys, and continually sight read it. Don't "learn" it, because you want to be able to associate fingerings with notes on the page.
For the next and hopefully final step, write out Hall of the Mt King in all keys, and continually sight read that. Between these two songs in all the keys, you will know all the fingerings, or the vast majority of them. Etudes will also work, but you might miss some keys or chromatics. The concept is to sight read a lot until the fingerings are rote.

I recently learned CC after playing F for a year. It really was not that big a deal; I'm still a little slow on fast passages figuring out what fingering to use, but the "immersion method" is best. I did have a problem at a lesson where I took my F, after I had played only CC for a few weeks, but that is due to my old and feeble brain, and your younger brain will be more flexible.

MA

Follow Ups: