Re: Re: Re: Re: Best tuba for low range

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on June 02, 2001 at 13:27:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Best tuba for low range posted by Frederick J. Young on June 02, 2001 at 11:31:08:

It depends on the tuba. I have a couple of instruments where I don't have to pull the slides to execute the scale in question. I have a set of fingerings with each instrument that produces the scale in or very nearly in tune.

Now before you post it in a response, let me say that I think I comprehend the pure mathematical concepts you cite that "prove" that a 5 valve instrument cannot play these scales in tune at speed. The point I have been trying to make in my posts to you on this subject has been that I dare say there is quite a bit about tuba design that we don't understand. We have our theories and everybody has some personal guesses as to what makes a great horn and what matters more or less. I still don't believe anyone has the full, complete scope of the design perfected. I believe that we can currently expect, at best, a limited understanding of the tendencies that certain design elements can produce. There are too many variables to reconcile in such a design to be able to say with any certainty that any aspect is impossible to achieve. Conversely, I think that nothing is automatic either.

While I respect the mathematical integrity of your theories, I must point out that reality bears out my hypothesis more accurately. We do not have any one instrument at this point which seems to be the best suited for any aspect of playing. Different instruments of the exact same model and design can vary widely in performance capability. Until we fully understand why that is, I'm not inclined to discount any design aspect as impossible.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: