Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best tuba for low range

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on June 03, 2001 at 07:32:03:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best tuba for low range posted by Jay Bertolet on June 02, 2001 at 22:46:35:

Jay,
If you do a search in the archives under "tuner" you may find a URL that Charlie Krause posted a while back for a 30 day shareware program that does the same thing. It works quite well on pc's (I don't know about Mac) and is free for thirty days. It shows a spectrogragh that is continuously running so that you can slowly paly through the range of the instrument and see the changing of harmonic structure. I'm pretty sure that you will find what you said anyways that you can play his proposed scale in tune. I can and I'm not even pulling slides. Maybe Dr.Young forgets that there is a HUGE slot in these lower notes for lipping. I have had friends play horns of mine and I play there horns and everything lies in tune with the same fingerings until a fifth above the fundamental and then all things are different. Some guys play low Eb 5-3-4 in tune some play 1-3-4 in tune. Air speed and many other intangebles come into play, like head resonance and oral cavity size. Anyway, it can be done on an old-fashioned, antiquated 5 valve horn!
Matt G

Follow Ups: