Discriminated BBb and Eb ???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Volker on June 15, 2002 at 09:37:14:

One of the puzzles to me is the ratio of BBb, Eb towards CC and F on the world market.
I found by talking to some U.S. tuba guys, that they feel almost ashame to play Eb tuba, and not CC or F, other ones emphasized, that they like Eb tubas, because being so versatile and great in all registers. If you inspect sales catalogs, you find CC and F tubas double of what you see being offered in BBb and Eb (and considerably more expensive).
On the other hand, I suppose, maybe only 10% of all tubas are played in string dominating orchestras, and the rest in brass bands and ensembles, so - WHY so many CC and F also in the large field of amateurs?
Could it be the case, that there is some kind of class-conscious amongst our domain in the way, that many of us want to follow the "prestious" track of the tuba stars in the famous symphony orchestras who for the most part prefer CC and F for a very rational reason - but why in a communal brass band for example?
Tuba history shows, that the discrimination of Eb was not always like that - even amongst the stars of their time. ...and the industry? They just adjust to the fashion of the market requirements (both - in quanity and price ratio?)
Hope, nobody feels provoked, since this is not at all my intention!
Looking forward to your various points of view,
Volker

Follow Ups: