Re: Discriminated BBb and Eb ???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Real Discrimination on June 15, 2002 at 23:19:45:

In Reply to: Discriminated BBb and Eb ??? posted by Volker on June 15, 2002 at 09:37:14:

What one of the major things I get tired of hearing is that you are not a serious or professional tuba player if you do not play a CC tuba.

And when you ask about all the past tuba players and european players that play BBb in the major symphonies there and in the past here in the USA, they say well that is Europe and it does not count.

I think this prejudice is all garbage in general. What key tuba you play makes absolutely no difference at all if you are an amateur, pro or whatever and it is a shame that alot of college instructors and professional players here in the USA think that and feel that strong to be that prejudiced. I do not think that Arnold Jacobs would have made that statement or believed it to be so. Didn't he at one time win a job or use a BBb tuba in his career?

What key tuba you decide to play on and make a living is Your Personal choice. Key words here are YOUR PERSONAL choice and no prejudice or discrimination should be there at all. We are all tuba players and not certain key tuba players. What key tuba you decide to use on competitions should not matter either. One should not be looked down upon because of the key tuba one plays, the newness, the # of valves or they brand of equipment you play on. Key and Equipment should not make a difference at all. The end result out of the bell musically is all that should matter. Is not music the end result of any key tuba.

The BBb tubas being made these days are as good as and play as good as any CC tuba out there and with the same quality as well and for those tubas the price is around the same as a comparable CC tuba. There has been major changes made in BBb tubas in the last 6 to 7 years.

When we as tuba players discriminate against each other because of key of the tuba and fail to help the other because of the key of the tuba, force them to change to a different key tuba that the individual does not like or want, then I feel we have failed as tuba players in general whether you are a professional, college instructor, private instructor or just a fellow tuba playing brother. Is not the whole intent of being a good tuba player or good instructor to help our fellow tuba players to be better.

Let us treat each other as equal no matter what key tuba we play. This last ITEC was good and alot of great things happened there. Alot of great music happened there as well and I have been to a bunch of them.

BBb and EEb tuba players, I say be proud and do not be afraid to tell your fellow tuba players or professionals what brand or what key tuba you play. I own and play the tuba I have because I love the sound and the way it plays. Most that I know that own one play their's for the same reasons. What key it is makes no Difference.

Leave choice to the individual. Leave prejudice in your mind. Let us all be brothers of a great bunch of guys that we are and just happen to play and love tuba.

Follow Ups: