Re: Re: Re: Discriminated BBb and Eb ???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on June 15, 2002 at 13:35:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Discriminated BBb and Eb ??? posted by Frederick J. Young on June 15, 2002 at 13:07:52:

Dr. Young,

Let me say yet again that I can fully appreciate your opinions regarding the mathematics of tuba design and your contention that non-compensating instruments cannot play in tune. Let me also say again that reality DOES NOT always bear this logic out. Of course, this whole discussion is completely off the subject of the original post. I was not arguing against the high quality of some compensating instruments out there, I was in fact acknowledging it. Many players find these tubas to be among the very best and they sound great playing them.

Actually, I was kind of hoping we would meet at the recent ITEC and that you would ask me to take your "test" regarding the 16th note scale that you say cannot be done on a non-compensating tuba. I was fully prepared to demonstrate otherwise. Perhaps some other time. All you have shown "time and time again" is that you subscribe to a theory, perhaps a good one, that fits your understanding of how tubas work. I sincerely hope that your rationale is comprehensive enough to accept that not all players think the same way as you and that not all players experience the same results with equipment as you do.

In any event, I don't "worship" any tuba. However, I do tend to buy those that work for me. I trust the results speak for themselves, obsolete or not.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: