Re: Re: Re: Vaughan-Williams Concerto with Jacobs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank Lee on January 21, 2003 at 14:40:02:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Vaughan-Williams Concerto with Jacobs posted by dp on January 21, 2003 at 13:04:52:

Sometimes I shudder when I read praise of tuba performances that - if rendered (much less professionally recorded and offered for sale) at that level of performance on any other instrument (violin, piano, flute, etc.) - would be considered "good amateur" at best.

How can tuba players get respect for their instrument and their craft/art by simply demanding it? "Doing" is the thing that attracts true respect. If a player is having technical problems (ie. intonation, wrong notes - as on the recordings mentioned above) that performer is at least two "levels of mastery" below the level at which very much music occurs.

The original question was not, "Was Arnold Jacobs a very nice guy, wonderful teacher, significant historical figure, and a great player nearly all the time - particularly as a younger man?". No, that was not the original question. Nor was the question, "Are the various standard 'excuses' offered for the Jacobs - Vaughan Williams recording valid?" No, this also was not the original question.

The original question was simple. Basically "Is this recording worth seeking, acquiring, and studying?" As a former owner of this recording my answer, "No" is valid.

Follow Ups: