Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Vaughan-Williams Concerto with Jacobs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by hmmm... on January 26, 2003 at 00:43:58:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Vaughan-Williams Concerto with Jacobs posted by Anthony on January 25, 2003 at 17:19:18:

I have performed La Boheme many times, and have always played from Ricordi or older Kalmus (a Ricordi copy) parts. They are both clearly marked "Trombone Basso", as are a Ricordi score that I have seen, and the Dover score that I own, which is a facsimile of the Ricordi. Casa Ricordi is the original publisher of Puccini's works, as well as those of Verdi. With the exception of his operas Edgar and Manon Lescaut, Puccini did not write for tuba, preferring to use Verdi's brass sound of his late operas...Otello and Falstaff, which are also marked "Trombone Basso". Puccini's first opera, Le Villi, lists cimbasso in the instrumentation, and Turandot, his last, lists Trombone Contrabasso. When printing new parts, Kalmus now has the annoying habit of changing instrumentation from cimbasso or trombone basso to tuba, to reflect (I assume) what is commonly found in US orchestras. Maybe it was one of these parts that you saw.

Follow Ups: