Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Vaughan-Williams Concerto with Jacobs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 23, 2003 at 00:04:19:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Vaughan-Williams Concerto with Jacobs posted by JoeS on January 21, 2003 at 23:53:23:

Actually, James Jenkins won his first job a number of years before the Jacksonville audition when he won the Alabama Symphony job. Unfortunately, after he had played there a few years the orchestra went belly up. James was left high and dry but he managed to land on his feet pretty well in Jacksonville. What a player!

I played that Besson F that the University of Miami owns back in 1986. The conductor of the opera company here insisted that I use that horn for a production of La Boheme. What a struggle that was for me. I absolutely hated the horn. I was thrilled that Boheme has an extremely small tuba part. Almost nothing to play at all. Honestly, that was the only way I was able to tolerate using that Besson. For me it had horrible pitch problems, a very funky low register, and a sound I could never quite get my brain around. In retrospect, I would be curious to give the horn another go around. I've changed considerably as a player since then and it might be kind of interesting to see what I could do with that instrument now. Ironically, I'd probably still be inclined to pitch it down a flight of stairs, such is my general reaction to horns that play that way. Oh well.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: