Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Vaughan-Williams Concerto with Jacobs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JoeS on January 21, 2003 at 18:46:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Vaughan-Williams Concerto with Jacobs posted by dp on January 21, 2003 at 17:23:57:

' still more endless sentimentalism and apologizing. Listen to the recording again:

Does the Chicago Symphony Orchestra sound like they weren't aware the tape was rolling?

Do you think that an "understood" run-through (supposedly 1/2 hr. - 1 hr. before the "real" recording) of a concerto with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra recorded by Deutche Grammophon should sound significantly different from the supposed "keeper"? It seems as if you're possibly you're trying to maneuver me into the position of trying to portray Mr. Jacobs himself into the "excuse maker" and I WILL NOT GO THERE .

The very fact that you use the "supposed run-though" thing as an excuse is clear admission that you agree that the recorded performance is disappointing and not particularly worthy of Frank's consideration (ahem, my original premise). Separate the two halves of your brain and simply realize "Yes, Mr. Jacobs was a great man." and "No, his Vaughan Williams recording is not great."

Come-on Dale, try it out for size. Rather than all of the excuses, apologies, and qualifications, simply utter (to Frank -- w-a-y up there):

"No. The recording of Mr. Jacobs' performance is not particularly notable."

Follow Ups: