I was fired from the University of OK.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ted Cox on April 29, 2003 at 06:18:12:

Yesterday when I got home from being fired, I saw on here a posting of someone named Dave asking about whether or not I had been fired from O.U. Well, I was, yesterday morning after 10 years of service. I think Sean probably took that posting off, which I appreciate very much. I figured that sooner than later someone else would say something so I thought I would just head off any rumors and tell all of you what happened and what you might do if you would like to help. I know a lot of you know me, mostly through the workshop and you might like to say something to someone on my behalf which would be greatly appreciated.
When I got to my office last thursday morning, I heard tuba music coming from the trumpet teachers studio. He was obviously listening to audition tapes. Then, one of my students later that morning said a horn student told him last monday that I wasn't going to be at O.U. next year. I asked my boss about this and he just dismissed it as gossip and not to worry. Well, I was worried. Two of my students somehow got a face to face with the Provost last friday and she essentially told them that my contract wasn't going to be renewed. After the meeting, they called me and told me I was being fired. No one should hear this kind of news the way I did. Early friday evening I accidentally recieved an email from the Dean of Fine Arts stating that they had the "green light" for my termination. So, I knew the phone would ring monday morning and it did, right on cue.
That meeting with my boss is a story in itself. I believe they wanted to wait as long as possible, after the workshop to fire me so that they could have their cake and eat it too. The students really feel taken advantage of, as they should because they were.
Their wishes were never considered. I wrote a letter to my friends which I will share with all of you below. I'm hoping that if the President hears enough good things about me, he might look into the lies that have been said about me. The most outrageous lie that I heard from one of the faculty members responsible for this action was they were afraid that I would bring a gun to school and go "postal". I'm not making that up!
Read the letter below and if you feel compeled to do something positive to help, I thank you in advance. I believe this BBS can be used for the purpose of good. Please use your full name and be respectful, I think the President can really do something to change this. If you want to copy me, I would appreciate that. I'm building a file for a possible grievance procedure. Here's the letter.

Friends,

After ten years of service to the University of Oklahoma, I was fired late this morning. The exact wording of my letter reads as follows:

This letter is to inform you that your appointment at the University of Oklahoma School of Music will not be renewed following the completion of your responsibilities with the Tuba-Euphonium Workshop, June 22-28, 2003. Ken Fuchs, Director

No reasons were given in writing or verbally as to why this action was taken. I recieved no warnings about my job performance, either verbally or in writing. Had I done something wrong, it would be documented in the letter I was handed today. No documentation has been presented to me, despite hearing rumors of this impending action and my repeated requests for clarification and the opportunity to discuss this matter. Three tenured professors used their combined power against a non-tenured professor and pressured the Director into this action. The most important people were not taken into consideration, those being my students. They don't want this change and are ver upset about all of this.

Most of you know my teaching record, my playing and job performance. I have done a lot for the University, more than any non-tenured track faculty memeber should be expected and perhaps more than many of the tenured professors. Recruiting, placement of students in top graduate programs, the Tuba-Euphonium Workshop, bringing in many tuba and euphonium artists for recitals and master classes, my own recitals and master classes across the country, my chamber music festival, Music from Greer and many other creative activities. Every single year on my evaluations from the administration, I recieve "outstanding" ratings. The highest rating possible.

As many of you know, building a program and studio takes time and constant attention. I have tried to salvage my studio at the University in every professional manner possible, but you can see the situation has spiraled beyond that. Why the School of Music would throw all of that away to start over with someone new is in my opinion, not only counterproductive, but harmful to the University.

At this point I am most concerned for my students and obviously, I would also like to continue to be their teacher at O.U. I would be extremely grateful for any suggestions you may have. Already, I have bee requested to provide contact information for the President of the University of Oklahoma, David Boren. I believe President Boren puts the students needs first. His email address is dboren(AT)ou.edu His telephone number is (405) 325-3916. His address is Evans Hall, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma 73019.

What I am most concerned about is my students. They don't understand because I don't understand enough to explain why I have been fired. It would appear the administration wanted to wait as long as possible before telling me to make sure they had a studio left. All indications are they knew a long time ago and should have been truthful with me and especially my 7 new freshmen who thought they were coming to O.U. to study with me.

I am so fortunate to have so many professional friends and the wide ranging network in my industry. I will finish out the year by teaching this week, listening to juries next week and playing commencement next Saturday. I will work dilligently to place my students where they can receive the highest level of instruction that they deserve and to which they have become accustomed.
Namaste,
Ted Cox

Follow Ups: