Re: I was fired from the University of OK.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ralph Suarez on April 29, 2003 at 09:25:47:

In Reply to: I was fired from the University of OK. posted by Ted Cox on April 29, 2003 at 06:18:12:

My world was rocked when I read your posting, Ted. "Job security" is an oxymoron when you have small minded cockalorums (look it up, Dave, I don't have potty mouth) all around you.

I would like to make a couple of observations. The first, and most important, is the fact that I appreciate your high level of professionalism and sense of integrity. Reading "between the lines" it is quite obvious that you are hurt and outraged, yet you did not allow that outrage to seep into your communication or dealings. You should be commended for that and I, for one, am encouraged that the world of academia has (I hope that isn't "had") a few true professionals.

Second, the fact that you were given no reason for the termination clearly indicates a guilty conscience on at least one person's part. I'll bet that individual was up all night tossing and turning and I hope that, whoever it is, continues to suffer the pangs of conscience for quite some time.

Finally, the fact that their was a tuba audition tape running in the trumpet studio is unprofessionalism at it's worst. The trumpet teacher was probably the ringleader in this whole episode. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it, but let me tell you why I think this. (A) There is the audition tape ... why didn't this person have the common decency to use headphone or listen to tapes at home? They were undoubtedly trying to make a point that they were sticking it to you. (B) Your boss couldn't give you a reason for the termination. Sounds to me (and I have seen this time and again) like it was a clash of egos and the trumpet ego won.

Best of luck ... in the long run, you are probably better off leaving Sooner (sorry) than later.

Follow Ups: