Well, wet my knickers...!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Holton 345 Update on September 16, 2003 at 19:06:11:

Several months ago I dropped off my Holton 345 at Dan Oberloh’s shop for “phase 2” of “The Resurrection of Tony’s Tuba”. The serial number dates the horn at 1964, and as one would expect from a 40 year old horn, the valve section had its share of wear and leaks. So, the valve section was sent off to Anderson plating for a rebuild. In the process, Dan also retro-fit the pistons from the drop in/set screw metal guides to nylon/screw in guides. While the valve section was out, the throw/port alignment tolerances were perfected, and the fairly recent brass valve stems were replaced with nickel ones. This was followed by hours and hours of hand lapping. Dan knows that I adore the action/feel of the valves on his HB-2P, so that was the target. When he was happy with the lapping, the valves were inserted using Yamaha’s coated springs. There were also a few more tweaks made to the lead-pipe, and the new handmade 4th valve crook was installed.

So, imagine my excitement yesterday when I received Dan’s call indicating that the horn was ready to be picked up. Of course, not wanting to wait, I asked how he felt things had turned out (I actually jotted down a few of his comments, wanting to make sure I got them right). “Well, you’re going to wet your knickers” he replied. “Light as a sparrow and quiet as a church mouse” he continued. “Of course, I had to lap them forever because they came back as tight as a bull’s butt”. Hmmm…an odd reference, I thought to myself, not really being sure how tight that would be…

Well, I don’t own any knickers, but if I did, they’d be wet. Anderson Plating really out did themselves, and their excellent reputation for valve work seems well earned. And, in terms of Dan’s work, I’ve just come to assume perfection, and once again he didn’t disappoint. Light, fast, smooth, and quiet. Not a hint of that “oxcart” feel that one associates with big tubas.

To be candid, I had assumed the action/feel would be improved. What I was really curious about was what kind of improvements, if any, would be made in terms of how the horn plays and sounds. So, earlier today I had fellow tubist Chris B join me for a few hours as we each put the Holton through its paces. A few observations:

The intonation throughout the scale seems somewhat more connected or coherent, as if the gaps in pitch at the slots have narrowed somewhat.

The response is punchier.

The sound, while still broad, has a tighter core to it. That is, it’s a bit more focused. Some time ago, I noticed that Keating Johnson’s 345 had this quality compared to mine, and wonder now if his valve section was in better condition with fewer leaks.

Well, there it is in a nutshell. I felt the improvement was significant, both in terms of valve action and in terms of the instrument’s sound.

Now, I've got another year to wait for "phase 3". Anyone have an opinion on whether it should be frosted silver or bright silver?

Tony E

Follow Ups: