Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Well, wet my knickers...!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mr. Shinytubas on September 17, 2003 at 11:59:02:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Well, wet my knickers...!!! posted by Tony on September 17, 2003 at 10:52:21:

uhh,

Right now, I have four tubas that I use:

F tuba...most of the original lacquer is gone, except the worn lacquer on the valveset, which was "transplanted" from another seldom-played same-model F because I began to wear out the the original rotors. (I don't like "rebuilt" rotors. Just like "rebuilt" automobile engines, they seem to last as long nor work as well. ' not true for pistons, though...)

CC (as pfft says "gggrrandde orchastrule") tuba - almost new and bright silver...When it starts to tarnish, I smear my sweaty, oily hands over those areas until they look "white" again and occasionally wipe it off with a towel.

Eb helicon...raw brass...uhh.. dark brown and grey

euphonium..."fancy" sought-after model..butt-ugly original lacquer

...no dents on these instruments, though and better-than new mechanical condition, cleanasawhistle on the inside, and absolutely silent action (except the helicon - original clocksprings and S-arms, which are still acceptably quiet. I'll rebuild the S-arms on the helicon rotors when it gets important enough...a recording session, etc.).

It's a bit risky to put a satin-silver finish on an old instrument. The guy (often 2000 miles away from the repair-guy) doing the sandblasting doesn't know exactly where all the thin spots are, and it's pretty easy to blast a dent or a hole in an old instrument that has hidden "issues".

-Joe

Follow Ups: