Re: Willson 3050

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on September 16, 2000 at 21:33:18:

In Reply to: Willson 3050 posted by Michael Eastep on September 16, 2000 at 01:31:14:

I am a Willson dealer, and had a 3050 CC at my store for an extended period of time. I apologize for not being able to give you any ensemble experience, but I will do the best that I can.

I find it easiest to compare the Willson 3050 CC to a 4/4 Hirsbrunner 21 model, since their bodies and valvesets are reasonably similar. I OWNED a HB21 and played touring company Broadway, quintet, and serious orchestral jobs (Tchaik 6, et al) on it, btw.

Price:

-HB: HIGH as !!!!! ($13,XXX something ??)
-W: HIGH, but under $9K

Intonation:

-HB: amazingly good on open notes, quite sharp on all A's & F in the staff, and horribly flat on D# below the staff
-W: very good on open notes (not quite as "perfect" as HB), but FAR more consistent on other notes...no prob.s with A's & F like HB. D# below the staff is SHARP (not flat, like HB), but at least one can pull for it, if desired.

Response and tone:
-HB: buttery and vanilla - round and smooth / very nice, but no real characteristic sound, IMO. Low notes are OK - very acceptable, but not outstanding projection-wise.
-W: The tone is robust. Some say it is "bright". To my taste it is good, and the brightness is easily tamed (if desired) with a large Helleberg-style mouthpiece. The low range is OUTSTANDING - wide open and just plain friggin LOUD, if needed, and effortlessly so, yet quite controlable.

Availability / Options:
-HB: I don't know. Everyone knows who to call to see if they have any.
-W: You have to wait, unless you want to pay someone's $9,500 price. I have one presold on order right now for a ROPA orchestra/university professor guy, and so far we have been waiting a couple of months. It isn't uncommon to wait 90-120 days. They REALLY don't want to make anything but silver plated UNLESS you place an ABSOLUTELY firm (no trial, etc.) order. (They just don't bring in lacquered ones to the U.S., unless it is a SPECIAL order.)

Bell taper:
-HB: large "4/4+" profile
-W: almost or right at 6/4 size at the top, but tapering down to a "4/4+" (like HB 4/4) size at the bottom of the bell section

I hope that this information, in the form of a comparison, helps in some way. Obviously, I am biased toward the Willson*. I would have kept the one in my store, except that:

1/ Someone bought it.
2/ I have a very promising "project horn" underway, right now, for myself.

*Playing the Willson in my store next to my Hirbrunner IS what made me decide to sell the Hirbrunner.

Follow Ups: