Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Willson 3050

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on September 20, 2000 at 10:18:26:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Willson 3050 posted by Joe S. on September 20, 2000 at 00:51:19:

With all the modern technology available to us these days, I would love to see some players/manufacturers take up a project to scope most or all of the current production instruments for their overtone content and dispersal. I know the variables involved (mouthpiece, players, environment) will make it hard for any of the data to have true statistical significance but it seems like a good place to start in trying to quantify much of what we grope with in trying to describe a sound. Oscilloscopes are not new devices but when combined with current computer technology, it seems like a very meaningful graphical representation could be done of a particular tuba's sound characteristics that would actually tell prospective buyers what to expect from the finished product.

I do believe that the distribution of the overtones is a very prominent component of a good sound. But I also think that the balance between fundamental and overtones is significant as well. Another line of study would be how the different overtone dispersal "signatures" affect other aspects of how the tuba plays, such as intonation. A detailed analysis of this topic could yield scientific reasons why certain tubas project well, respond well, play better in tune, etc. IF you could factor out the variables.

Unfortunately, such a study will probably never be done because our market is so small that it probably isn't economically feasible to undertake it. The manufacturers who are getting top dollar for their horns have nothing to gain while the ones who aren't may not have the venture capital to invest. But its fun to think about!

Follow Ups: