Re: Re: Re: Re: ITEA Divisions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on May 23, 2003 at 23:46:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: ITEA Divisions posted by John on May 23, 2003 at 22:57:39:

My thoughts exactly, and when I belonged to the organization and was active I was one of "them". I went into the organization in 1973 (if you knew what I looked like way back then, you could find me in the picture posted on the ITEA website. Good thing most of you don't know!) as a college student and found it to be very helpful. I later became a college teacher and moved to the inner circle. While I never held an office, I participated some. About the only people in the group were college teachers and their students. There were very few, if any, amateurs, young students, or active players in orchestras, bands, or quintets.

I am of the opinion that it has changed to be more of a, to quote a Texas saying, "a good ol' boy network". If you don't belong to the club, you really don't belong. Professional teachers and players have the time to commit to the organization and, I would guess, are encouraged to do so by their institutions.

The argument as I see it from the other side is that it will only change if we get involved and change it. While there is encouragement from the current membership to join, I see no emphasis on making changes to the basic organization to include every group of afficianados.

The internet has also had a huge affect on the effectiveness of a group like ITEA. We can write about 'stuff' without going face to face as in the old days. The only people with the time and incentive to go to the conferences are, for the most part, college teachers, aspiring soloists (myself included), professional players and a few college students, even fewer high school students, the occasional junior high player, and serious amateur players who ask for the time off from work and then take a vacation day or two.

As I see it, this leaves us with 2 alternatives. Join the organization and change it, or leave it alone and continue to converse and learn via this and other internet venues.

Personally I like seeing people and getting to know new players so I would vote to join and work to change it.

Follow Ups: