Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ITEA Divisions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael Incopero on May 24, 2003 at 23:48:03:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ITEA Divisions posted by David on May 24, 2003 at 08:51:21:

I think you need to have involvement of academics because they bring a lot to the table. First of all there a lot more of them than there are tuba pros. They also often have access to facilities and music as well as the ability to bring students along as well. They also have time to spend on it that pros often don't have. Unless you're one of the handful of big time pros, the local pros have to hustle to make a living playing so they are hard pressed to be really super involved in running a group. The big time pros also have demanding playing schedules and are time limited as well. Academics also have access to things like copiers etc.

Having said this, I was always impressed how many Chicago area pros took part in MetroCats. This could have been in some part to Richard Frazier (founder & driving force and a pro). I think a group that has all parties (academics, pros and serious amatuers) all actively involved could really make a tuba group work. I think a real emphasis on playing would be very effective. I also think that in order to keep the pros and the others who are serious about playing coming you have to deal with the crowd that just wants to show up with old beater sousaphones and honk at your performances. I think nothing is more disappointing to a group then to have people who don't come to the rehearsals show up for a public performance and ruin what could have been a good concert.

Mike Incopero

Follow Ups: