Bydlo: Musicianship vs. Masculinity ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on May 14, 2001 at 20:13:49:

Fellow BBS readers/contributors:
I was reading the comments on the perfect Bydlo horn and what not and decided to practice it tonight just for the heck of it. Suprisingly, it wasn't half bad on my only horn a CC. But it got me to wondering. If I won a job based on my Bydlo-ability and were playing in an excellent orchestra (ha,ha), I would pass the solo on over to one of my well deserving trombone section mates in a second. Why you may ask? Because I feel that would benefit the ensemble more than my attempt no matter what shape my chops are in. I know Gene Pokorny passes it on and he has chops of steel. Jay Bertolet also passes it on and I'm sure he could also pull it off. But I imagine that those guys think to themselves, why risk it! The trombonist is in that register all of the time! That is his money register. But more importantly, I think the ease of playing contributes to a higher level of musicianship and the ENSEMBLE benefits the most. That's why I would pass it, not because I were to be lazy, but to know that the performance would be in the hands of who could do it best. I think because the solo is stuck in our excerpt books and guys like Arnold Jacobs have pulled it off well, that we feel the need to do the same. It's a great excerpt to practice, but I don't think that it belongs to us to perform if someone else is more capable. What do the rest of you folks think.
Matt G

Follow Ups: