Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bydlo: Musicianship vs. Masculinity ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 18, 2001 at 00:27:02:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bydlo: Musicianship vs. Masculinity ? posted by what do you know on May 17, 2001 at 09:26:36:

If it is better for the ensemble for you to play it, then blessings upon your house. That was the point of all my statements.

But I must add that it is possible to be arrogant about history, and the professionals I've heard who experienced problems with this include some of the world's best orchestral players. And I do know the circumstances behind many of these situations. To say that "any" professional should be able to rip this one on out there, while making great music, on a contrabass is contrary to what my ears tell me, and I'll make my judgements on how it sounds out front.

I may not be a decent player, but I hope I'm a decent listener. I know that I'm an experienced one.

I had no intention of insulting you. But the approach you take, while it may be appropriate for you and your ensemble, is not only at odds with my listening experiences, but it is also at odds with the experiences of many of the great performing professionals. Therefore, your advice may not be universal, and it might lead someone of less skill to attempt something that may not turn out to be the best product for the audience. They should follow your example and exercise their own artistic integrity--and give the part to the player who can make the best music.

You may not play music for pride, but there is an element of it in my playing. If I'm not proud of my work, then I'm ashamed and I work to improve it. I don't understand why you would be insulted by the "accusation" of professional pride. My statement was that it should not go too far, not that it shouldn't be there at all.

I have on my music stand much of the standard literature for tubas, including music that I will never be able to play. Yes, there is much literature that soars into the upper register of the instrument, and I've heard much of it played by the world's best players when I can hardly make good sounds an octave down. Bydlo may indeed not be any higher than some of it. But there must be something about where Bydlo appears in the music that makes it a special challenge, hence my listening experiences.

I look forward to the day I get to hear you play it (and I mean that sincerely), or I would if I knew who you were.

Rick "who agrees that it's about the music" Denney

Follow Ups: