Re: Bydlo: Musicianship vs. Masculinity ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by reply to all on May 15, 2001 at 08:46:22:

In Reply to: Bydlo: Musicianship vs. Masculinity ? posted by Matt G on May 14, 2001 at 20:13:49:

Interesting comments. Its hard to have an opinion about something without making someone mad. I have been working on the Bydlo solo for years, and when I get the chance to play it, damn it I am gonna play it. Why? Because I can. What tuba to play it on...Hmmm whatever tuba I want to play it on. Most likely a big ass F tuba. I don't really care that Ravel wrote it for this tiny little french piece of crap that no one wants to play anymore, I can play it on my own tubas, and I will. Most competent conductors(if there is such a thing)will know what they want and will ask for it, and now days they mostly want tubas, not euphs. So here it is...I can play it on my tuba just as good, or better than any eupher, tromboner posing as a eupher or some sissy ass french tuba as it was intended. So all you peoples out there that take these comments as MACHO...eat it, I don't care. I won't pass it on because I can't play it well enough, not me. Thats your game. whats the old saying...those who cant, pass it to the trombones. I am kidding a little. Basically, everyone has their own reason to play it or to pass it, and I don't really think its fair to label someone as MACHO if they play the solo that they are payed to perform. Its their job to play it. On a side not, I remember hearing a big time orchestra play it, and the tubaist played it on euph...and crapped all over it. This happened twice in about three yers or so. I can't help but to imagine that it would have been better if he played it on his small F tuba, as he was a tuba player, not a euphonium player. Some eupher out there shopuld be offended that we talk about just picking up there instrument for solo occasions when they practice them all the time.

Follow Ups: