Re: Bydlo: Musicianship vs. Masculinity ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Herrick on May 15, 2001 at 09:21:45:

In Reply to: Bydlo: Musicianship vs. Masculinity ? posted by Matt G on May 14, 2001 at 20:13:49:

Good one, Matt,
You have put up some good questions and some good possible answers which have stimulated, for the most part, some good debate. I don't completely agree with all your points, but then I am not Matt and have lived a different musical life to you and the others who have taken part in this discussion. I do respect your opinions which are based on your experiences and overall this type of discussion can be a good learning experience for all of us.

It is a bit like when I was studying with Harvey Phillips at NEC. There were four of us as students, including Dave Gannet and Gary Oddenloch and Ol' Morris and myself.
All of us had different backgrounds, varying goals, variations in ability and dedication. One of the really great things Harvey did was get us together often to play all kinds of music in duets, trios, and quartets and even all contra-bass tuba quintets.
THe goal was to exchange musical ideas and learn from each other and teach each other. Rather like a BBS. AS Harvey said, the teacher learns as much from the student as the other way around, so let's continue this type of discussion. Jake said pretty well the same as have others, and I have found this to be true as the teacher as well as from the student point of view.

When I brought up the Bydlo horn, an E tuba, for discussion it was with the idea of puting up a point for consideration and discussion. In certain circumstances it might be the instrument I would use, or I might use a BBb or CC as I have in past or an F or an Eb or a Eupho, or sit and listen as somebody else played it on another instrument.
In the end it is likely to be the conductor who decides who plays it and on what instrument, but the end target must always be making good music.

As performers we are not bound to do everything exactly as the composer "intended" or as a work was premiered. If we were it would be easy to make one set of recordings of the entire repertoire then get rid of all bands and orchestras,except maybe for 1 to play any new charts that came out in such an atmosphere. Oh yes, Sean might have a job for a bit longer playing last post for us old military band musos, but then, why not a recording.

Our art is a lively one with a fair scope for divergent views and ways of performing. I have really enjoyed watching this exchange on "musical" points. let's keep it up, but always remember that music is a means of exchanging "ideas" not cold facts.

Follow Ups: