Was Blue Shades topic below

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by donald coals on June 23, 2002 at 15:44:28:

I think we can all agree being a musician is an expensive hobby/profession. Are you all saying that if you don't have the money, don't do it? Would you deprive some person of the joys of music simply because it is wrong to copy some part?

I grew up in a small town and didn't have much money. I am not ashamed to say I copied everything I could get my hands on in order to play it on my horn. Was it illegal? yes, but I wouldn't have been able to play otherwise. Also, I copied all the recordings I could as well.

Now that I am older, I have lessened my crimes considerably. Because I now make enough money to afford the stuff I need. Am I ashamed of my past? no. Even now, when the need arises, and I see no other way, I still see no problem with copying if I need to.

I know some very high placed professional tuba players who see no problem with copying as well. You guys know who I mean, I won't mention names because it doesn't serve my purpose to sully their good names, but those of us who have been around know there are some pros out there who will let you copy their stash.

I guess all this was just to say, I understand where this guy is coming from, and I am not going to try to impose my (lack of) morals on this guy or anyone else. I will just keep on keepin' on.

Don

Follow Ups: