Re: Human Error in Tuba Making

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Walters on February 05, 2001 at 20:42:22:

In Reply to: Human Error in Tuba Making posted by Mr. Curious on February 05, 2001 at 17:27:56:

Hey man, you could be talking about me. If it is, let me say right now, I am very sorry to have cause you any grief. In years past I may have been over zealous and wanted to fix everything I saw physically wrong. Especially for people I like (just 'bout any tubist) I would try to throw in a little extra TLC wherever I could. Well, I've learned my lesson. My policy as a repairman is to do just what I am asked. Of course just today, a trumpet player asked me to free his 3rd valve slide and fix a bell dent. Then when I handed it back he checked and pointed out the 1st and 2nd slides were STILL stuck. Sometimes we repairmen just can't win. It can also be awkward when someone asks me to go ahead and fix whatever I see wrong while fixing whatever repair. Then because the horn now plays differently, they don't like it. I'm reminded of the old man who got used to playing a horn clogged up with crud and worn out felts from decades of neglect. Then when he finally had it cleaned out and servced, he could no longer get a sound out of it for lack of back pressure. In his mind the repairman ruined his horn. When I get into customizing a horn, I try to take a few minutes and have them play the horn first and tell me what results they want to be different.

Now an admonishment here. Did you go back to the repairman and clearly express what you are unhappy about? Did you then give them a chance to make you satisfied by telling them what wuld make you happy? If you want a little more edge and resistance put back in that was removed, I know I can do that. Heck we repairmen can even add some solder blobs if you prefer! Every repairman reading this can attest that we want our customers very satisfied.
My normal procedure in a professional Chem Clean and service involves honing out the inside of the slide tubes. If someone says they want the horn cleaned but don't want anything internally changed, I'll gladly skip the honing step.
So to everyone reading this, please assume nothing. Let service people (inst repair, car mechanic, lawn boy, baby sitter, etc.) know exactly what the desired results are. I cringe thinking it may be me that has lost your business. I'm sure every repairman on this board is thinking the same thing. Okay, there is always that one out of a thousand customers that we may prefer not to deal with, but a paying customer that tells us exactly what will satisfy them, is always welcomed.

Matt

Follow Ups: