Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Human Error in Tuba Making

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by anon on February 08, 2001 at 09:18:33:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Human Error in Tuba Making posted by Joe S. on February 07, 2001 at 20:28:14:

Great post Joe!

I've been meaning to rant about a related pet peave for a while now and you have provided a wonderful introduction for me.

I happen to play two very nice(expensive) instruments. I happen to like them both a great deal and consider them to be very special. I practice every spare moment I am able and like to think that I get around on them fairly well although I still have plenty to work on. This post is anonymous to avoid the inference that I am bragging. As a general rule I try to keep my mouth shut in rehearsals and play within the section. I feel that as long as I keep humble I will continue to learn from others and improve as a musician.

Nevertheless, on a fairly regular basis I have other tubists comment on how nice my instrument sounds. Initially this was very nice and I took pride in my choice in instruments but this has begun to grow very thin. I have offered to let those same tubists to play my horn and they either turn me down or sound the same as they do on their 'cheap' horn. When I play their instruments I always sound the same as I do on my own. Yet these comments continue.

I actually caught myself downplaying the playing characteristics of my instruments the other day. This is aggravating because I actually happen to like my horns a lot and know for a fact that when they sound like crap it is completely my fault and that they will only do what I tell them to do. YET, when I do something right I have people comment on how great my horn is. I want to be allowed to like my horns and take some modicum of pride(in a humble way) in the way they sound. Is this unreasonable? I am begining to consider trading my horns in for something 'cheap' just so people won't blame the horn when I do something right.

The more I think about this the more confused I become. When someone comments on the sound of my instrument am I supposed to brag about my instrument? Say, 'thank you for noticing how great my instrument is'? It's not the instrument folks! I had a little bit to do with it too. ;b

Those that have read this far.. I would like to suggest that we all make a conscientious effort to compliment the person rather than the equipment. The equipment's ego will get over the loss much quicker. By the same token when we don't sound like gods on a given day or after getting our horn back from the instrument repairperson rather than blame the horn *we* should sit down in a practice room and figure out what *we* need to be doing differently.

Follow Ups: