Re: More questions :)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on February 12, 2000 at 23:59:49:

In Reply to: More questions :) posted by Ted on February 12, 2000 at 23:26:28:

For a good teacher, look up Mark Tetrault(sp?), who plays with the Toronto Symphony. He was a great player here in Florida (Jacksonville Symphony) before he got the gig in Toronto, and if he can't take you on as a student himself, he will probably know the situation there as well as anybody.

When it comes to range, always keep the quality of the sound first priority. The key to mastery of these ranges is to keep your approach as consistant as possible. The less you move around, the less your sound will vary from range to range and the more likely your sound will be as good as in your other ranges.

If I were in your position, I'd be looking for really good etude books. The Wekselblatt solo books are okay but I prefer more challenging literature that might lead to more rapid improvement. Check out the Tyrrell Advanced Studies for the BBb Tuba. Many of these 40 etudes can also be used as solo/recital pieces and they will test your skills. If you specifically need solo material, the state of New York publishes a yearly ranking of almost all of the solos for each instrument. Contact any nearby New York school district band director and they can point you in the direction of this year's edition. The listings are VERY complete.

Good luck!

Follow Ups: