Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: More questions :)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on February 14, 2000 at 14:06:59:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: More questions :) posted by Chuck Jackson for Jay Bertolet on February 14, 2000 at 12:39:33:

Oh, you know Chuck. Everybody's entitled to their opinion, your mileage may vary, try it out for yourself, yada, yada, yada. There are lots of things that I, personally, don't like about the Rubank. One is its lack of range exploitation. Methods like the Rubank teach the students I get that 4th line F on the bass clef staff is considered a "high note". Also, the Rubank doesn't really measure up technically, in my opinion. The studies are overly easy, even in the advanced book. My perception there could be because I consider the Tyrrell Advanced Studies not to be overly advanced either. Some of the later ones are very tricky and I really like the book (which is why I use it) but my opinion is that it is an excellent beginner's book for that stage just after you sort out fingerings and tone production. At least that is how I use it in my studio.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific but something about the Rubank just rubs me the wrong way I guess. Anyhow, thankfully I have choices available that I like better. If it works for you, why switch? Maybe I just like the Tyrrell more because I'm comfortable with it, even though it doesn't test the high range much either. It is what I started on with my first teacher and it has worked with many of my students. The most important thing is that the music is effective in helping the student progress...

Follow Ups: