Re: Re: Re: Re: Where's the tuba?!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 02, 2002 at 10:56:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Where's the tuba?!! posted by Dan Schultz on December 02, 2002 at 10:43:09:

That sounds like the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band (yes, you must say all four words when referring to the Aggie Band--oops, the Fightin' Tex--oh, bother). Nary a music student in sight. A&M doesn't even have a liberal arts college.

On the other hand, the Aggie Band is not known for musical prowess, even if they do field 25 or 30 very fit sousaphone marchers, whose precision (of marching, that is) make them a group unto themselves.

Band Recruiter: "Have you ever seen a musical instrument?"

Fish: "Like, what's that?"

Band Recruiter: "As in, like, a trumpet, dude."

Fish: "Okay. Yeah, I guess so."

Band Recruiter: "Welcome to the band. Drop and give me 50, BQ"

On the other hand, Texas A&M also supported a symphonic band, which when I played in required auditions, allowed those not in the corps, and even allowed certain qualified faculty and community members. I was fourth chair of four, and the other three had been all-staters in high school. There were even a few players in that group who also played in the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band.

It seems a shame that such groups should be the last bastion of real tuba playing outside orchestras and community bands.

Rick "never a BQ" Denney

Follow Ups: