Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where's the tuba?!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 05, 2002 at 14:25:16:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where's the tuba?!! posted by Joe Baker on December 05, 2002 at 12:51:37:

Like I said before, I like you even if you are a teasip.

(The term "teasip" stems from the traditional view of UT students by Aggies--that of being in the priveleged classes and therefore snobbish. It was true in the 30's and 40's, when Aggies studied agriculture and engineering, and UT students studied law and medicine, and when class consciousness was at a Depression-induced peak. Through church connections, I knew some of those priveleged classes, and I certainly felt the burn of that snobbery while still in secondary school. But by the time I was actually at A&M it seemed to be a faded memory. I don't recall any generally held opinion at A&M that UT was a communist or hippie school, though it certainly had more of both than A&M as did most other colleges.)

Most of the Aggie jokes I have heard were told well after graduation, even after I had earned a Masters degree at UT. It didn't help that I lived in Austin for a number of years after graduation. Of course, most people take them in stride, and I do too. You'll have to admit that Aggies were everyone's favorite target for jokes, as I'll admit that they earned that position. Every Polack joke ever told had its Aggie equivalent. The "what do you call an Aggie five years after graduation...Boss" joke was told by Aggies to each other as a sort of support-group thing, heh, heh.

I spent the first part of my career at the Texas Highway Department, which was an Aggie stronhold of the first water. But we had a number of UT grads, and near as I could tell they advanced with the rest, though they were a bit more careful about telling Aggie jokes than most of their fellow alumnis.

But here in Virginia, a degree in civil engineering from A&M is quite highly regarded, especially in the transportation field. A prophet is not without honor except in his own home. I'm sure you've had the same experience in Tennessee, where most people confuse your orange-and-white UT decals as being the Univesity of Tennessee, but who probably think the University of Texas is a bit exotic.

Rick "getting ready to plow 800 feet of driveway" Denney

Follow Ups: