Euphonium Bass vs Treble Bb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on August 05, 2003 at 08:24:38:

I have not seen this subject debated here and could not find much in the archive on it.

My son (HS Junior) has been playing the Euphonium for 4 years now (after switching from Trumpet in 7th grade). He is still playing Bb Treble clef parts. I have been trying to presuade him to switch to Bass Clef (I am a Tuba Player myself).

Some of the arguments that I have been trying is that he can double up on Bassoon, Cello or Trombone if needed. I know with Treble Clef he can double up on Trumpet, Clarinet or Tenor sax parts but when was the last time you saw a band director ask a Euphonium player to double on one of these parts in a band setting?

I also told him this would open up the world of Brass Quintet by being able to play the Trombone part. I know that if want's to continue to play at the College level in a couple of years they will expect him to know Bass Clef.

What other reasons can I give him for trying to switch to Bass Clef? BTW I do think it is important for a good euphonium player to be able to read Bb Treble clef as well as Bass Clef, since there are some parts most notibalby the British Brass Band music that use it exclusivly.

Also on a related subject when a Band Director switchs a Trumpet Player to Euphonium in the Middle or High School years why do they keep enabling them to play the Treble Clef parts only? I would think once a student has down the basics that you would want to switch him/her to bass clef.

Thanks for any reasons that you can give me.

Follow Ups: