Re: Re: Fafner

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on August 23, 2002 at 07:31:20:

In Reply to: Re: Fafner posted by Lee Stofer on August 23, 2002 at 06:55:36:

Hi Lee,
I know some of the story about this model from a very authoritative source, who I can not give away, as that would prevent me from telling some potentially interesting aspects.

The tuba for the band of one of Hitler's two SS lifeguard regiments was a 3 valver based on an old Cerveny design.

When MW made their replica, they added a 4th valve as standard, The model is the 197. An optional 5th valve sitting in the 4th valve makes it the 198 (please see link, scroll to the bottom of that MW page).

This 198 was the model I investigated to buy, when I wanted to descend into the contrabass range. But I was very strictly warned off from it.

The reasons were a very high price. And the fact that the demo, that toured exhibitions and shows worldwide, was very good and persuasive (just ask yourself for a verification). Actually having a level of quality, that rarely was achieved by the instruments, that one could have built to a firm order only after a large downpayment had been made.

As well known, I turned my interest towards the larger end of the US type BBb's. Never regretted that.

Klaus

Follow Ups: