Re: Re: Re: Fafner

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on August 23, 2002 at 09:34:34:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Fafner posted by Klaus on August 23, 2002 at 07:31:20:

In looking at the pictures, the 195 (Fafner) seems to have a bell with a straightish stack, a large throat, and a wide, radial bell flare. I would characterize the bell is downright American, and wouldn't be particularly surprised to see it on a vintage American tuba. It is still a tall tuba, however.

The 197 (which Klaus describes as the copy of the instrument used in Hitler's band) seems much more German/Czech. The throat is a bit larger, the flare more exponential and much narrower, as we would expect on a very old Cerveny or a newer St. Petersburg.

For those of you who have tried the Fafner, does the sound tend more in the American direction, with a broader tone the leans more to foundation than focus? How does it compare with, say, an Alexander?

The fact that a fellow who place a Getzen is impressed suggests a kinship in the two sounds that makes me curious.

And for those of you who have played the Fafner, how are the air requirements in comparison, say, with a Miraphone 190? A Willson 3100? A Miraphone 186? The leadpipe is long, so the bore doesn't really scare me, but it's still...really big. How efficient is it? Could a hobbyist hope to make a decent sound on the beast?

Rick "asking for academic reasons only" Denney

Follow Ups: