Re: Re: Re: Holton 6/4 in my living room..what to do

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Adam on April 28, 2002 at 06:07:27:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Holton 6/4 in my living room..what to do posted by Tony E on April 28, 2002 at 01:01:40:

Man, no one has played a 6/4 anything in a quintet, I just dosent happen. If you still want to play in small ensembles then a 6/4 horn is not what you want. If your main outlet for your music is in large ensembles, and or all bras groups then the Holton will be great. You have to weight what horn will ne most useful to you, and the type of playing you do now and most likely what you will be doing in the future.

I have played on an old 6/4 Holton, and I really liked a lot. Granted it was cut to a CC tuba, but I still really liked it. But up untill recently I have been playing on a large BBb tuba, and it was really hard to control the horn in small groups, and I think that you might have the same problem.

Having a old 6/4 Holton would be really cool, but it might become an albatross, and only bring you down. Just take a step back, and really take a good inventory of the situation, what and where you will be playing, price, usefullness, etc. before you buy the horn.

Adam

Follow Ups: